Monday, November 16, 2009

White Elephant Auction


Yesterday our HOG chapter had their annual white elephant auction and pot luck. I made magic bars for the pot luck and for the auction I made up a basket with a bottle of red wine and four wine glasses.

We went up to Billings early in the morning just to shop around. We need to get a new computer as our old one is soooo slow. It takes a long time to boot up and also the programs are slow running. You have to be very patient and there are times when you have time to run errands before it wakes up. I have decided that it is a male computer.

Anyway, we only went to price the new computers and ended up buying one. We got an HP lap top and it has all that we need and then some. I am happy about the 4G of memory that we have, now I can really load up the computer with photos. It was on sale along with a $50 mail in rebate. We are going to Billings on black Friday, but the sale was ending this week and no guarantee that this computer will be on sale black Friday and at that price. Let alone be in stock. We figured why not, go ahead and get it. Won't look at prices on black Friday.

We got to the HOG meeting place early. This winter we are meeting at a sports bar, they are very accomodating for biker groups. We get a whole room to ourselves. Gary and I went early to watch some of the ball games before the meeting.

We have a very short meeting, had to vote for the treasurer position as two people actually wanted the office. Gary voted for one guy and I voted for the other. We like both men and feel either one will be a good treasurer. After the meeting we all got to eat the yummy food that was brought in. There were all kinds of salads and desserts, a couple potato dishes. The only vegetable was corn and for meat our choices were chicken or ham. It was all good. Then the auction started.

At first we weren't going to bid on any items. I did get a chance to look and thought that it would be nice to have a couple of the items. The top items this year were three jackets. There was a leather jacket with fringe, a denim jacket with a removable liner and a women's leather bomber jacket. The denim and leather bomber jacket were brand new. Whoever brought them bought them at Dillards, as there was a card on them stating what the retail price was and that these jackets had never been worn.

I ended up taking home the leather bomber jacket for $55. The original retail price was $340. I was the woman picked to model the jacket and it fits perfectly. Gary and I didn't get a chance to talk about it as we weren't sitting together. I really wasn't too sure how high to bid. When it was announced that I was the winning bid, Gary just shook his head. I had been looking for a new leather jacket but hadn't found one. I was going to buy it with my Wendover winnings.

Once Gary and I got to talk about it, he said just to pay for it with the check book and Merry Christmas. He said that if I wasn't going to bid on it, he was. It is very nice and will keep me warm. Once I get a photo of it, I will get it posted.

We had a good day, came home with a new lap top computer and leather jacket.