Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Motorcycle School

This past weekend I attended motorcycle school.  This is a course put on by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.  I took the basic rider course which is designed for brand new riders or people who have never ridden before (me).  This is a highly recommended course because you learn so much and if you pass all you have to take is the Montana written test for your endorsement.  Also you can get discounts on your auto insurance if they offer is.

In Montana, the classes are put on by Montana State University in Havre.  I signed up in March for the weekend.  The cost of this particular course is $175.  The requirements for this class is that I had to wear over the ankle boots, a long sleeved shirt or coat,  jeans, eye glasses or some kind of eye protection, full fingered gloves and a helmet. Also you need a positive mind. You can bring your own or wear one of theirs.  I took my own helmet.  Didn't matter the weather, class went on no matter what.

The classes are not canceled during bad weather, you just have to be prepared for it.  Thank goodness that it was a nice weekend for my class.  The class was in Billings at the Rimrock Auto Detailing Center.

I had watched a short video about the class and was so nervous about some parts of what I would have to do.  Woke up early Saturday morning, couldn't sleep.  Gary went to Billings with me on Saturday, ate a good breakfast since I wasn't sure if I would get a lunch break or not.  I did bring some snacks to eat.  Gary spent the day wandering around Billings.

We spent two hours in the classroom going over our books and watching videos, then we spent the rest of the day out on the riding range.  The instructors assigned us bikes.  There were 10 of us in the class, 4 men and 6 women.  There was only 1 other woman who had never ridden a bike the rest had some experience.  The bike I was assigned was a Kawaski 250 Eliminator.  In fact all the women were on this type of bike, the men were on dual purpose bikes since they were bigger.

In the morning we spent time just doing the basics, clutch, breaks getting the feel and riding around in a circle.  In the afternoon we got into some manuevering weaving around cones, learning how to lean and not steer, stopping, turning at intersections, going around corners and shifting.  I put 8 miles on that little bike on the first day.

At the end of class we went back into the classroom to discuss about the day and then we were told that we had to study for the written test for Sunday.  The test was multiple choice and not to worry about it.  I was tired, the last thing I wanted was to study for a test.

Gary picked me up, we ate supper and headed home.  I studied my book for three hours and had Gary help me.  He questioned some of the stuff.  I was getting very frustrated and things were running into each other.  I was never going to pass the test.

Jennifer's friend Arthur stopped by the house with some smoothies which was very welcomed.  He is getting ready for his fire fighting job in Idaho and just wanted to visit before leaving.  He also wanted to know what I thought about the class.  He said the test was a piece of cake and also told me what the skills test would be like.  I was not looking forward to that. 

Got a good nights sleep and no worries.  Gary said I would do fine on the test since it's multiple choice and not to fret about the skills test.  Sunday morning we went over the manual again before taking the test and watching the last of the videos.  The test was closed book.  I had worried about it for nothing, test was pretty easy.  I missed three questions with a score of 94.  One question I had changed my answer and had it right the first time.  A score of 80 or better was passing.  In fact the lowest score in our class was a 92.  The instructors were very pleased.

Back on to the riding course.  Sunday we got more into stuff.  We learned how to make U-turns in a 20'X60' box (basically take two parking spaces beside each other and the two in front of them in a parking lot), S curves, braking in the middle of a curve, swerving, lane changes, quick stops and obstacles.  I was very worried about the obstacle part.  We had to run over a 2X4 board.  I worried for nothing, that was the funnest part of the riding course.

After lunch we had practice runs for the skills test.  We were told that we would be tested on everything we learned over the two days.  Yikes.  The practice run was making the U-turns without going out of the box or putting the foot down, swerving, quick stop and curves. 

The way we were lined up I was last on the skills test.  I think it helped me because I was able to watch all the others first.  U-turns are not my favorite.  I went out the box but did not put my foot down.  We had more points taken off for the foot.  My swerving I did good, didn't hit the car in front and I stopped good.  On the quick stop I think I impressed the instructors, was told that I was above the standard on that (stopping was very easy for me.  We had to use both brakes and get into first at the same time).  On the curve I was a bit slow but had good technique.

Once we were done we went back inside the classroom.  I passed.  I received my card.  I got a 10 on the skills test. Passing the skills test was 20 and below.  I was told U-turns were not my friend, my swerving was good, my quick stop was good.  A little slow on the curve but technique was good.  For the curve the instructor said that on the Beartooth I could tell the colors on the flowers.  The instructor also said that he would rather we be slow with good technique than fast or we would have ran off the road.

Only one woman didn't pass the skills test.  She put her foot down on the U-turn which I think frustrated her, then on the quick stop she had to do that again which really got her frustrated that she just gave up on herself.  It was not the other brand new rider woman.  Felt sorry for her as I though she was doing good.

The instructors commended me for being last, they think that is the worst position for a student.  I told them no way, I wanted to be last that way I could observe and I thanked the class for helping me.

I now have one year to take the Montana written test to get my endorsement.  I asked why the state didn't recognize the written test since they recognize the skills test.  They didn't know either, said it must be a money thing.

2 comments:

Mary~Momathon said...

Now you are a real biker babe! Just need to take the Montana endorsement to make it official. Good job!

Mmom said...

Congratulations on doing such a good job! Now you can take me for a ride for my birthday celebration. Maybe even Gma too.