Thursday, March 5, 2015

Walking Contest

I'm on the Wellness Committee for the county and we had a walking contest for county employees.

The grand prize was a Fitbit Zip a $60 value.  If an employee was already a Fitbit user then they got a $60 gift card.

It was a $5 buy in to join and it was decided to have that the winner would be determined by a random draw, so it didn't matter how many steps you did.  There was a comment that if it was by the most steps, then I would win all the time.

We had 19 people sign up, for six weeks you would keep a log of your steps.  The contest started on April 16 and ended May 30.  We had a conversion chart for activities other than walking.

At the end of the contest I walked 534,452 steps which is approximately 267 miles.  About 2000 steps equals 1 mile.  I was gung-ho for the first three weeks, then just petered out.  Figured that I didn't need to kill myself.

Well, I won the contest.  I am already a Fitbit user, so I was awarded hard cash.  It worked out because I was awarded my winnings on my birthday.

Saving my money for our vacation in a couple weeks.

No comments: