Saturday, September 6, 2008

Oh Happy Day

Yesterday I got my stitches out. YEAH!!!!! I was supposed to get them out on Thursday, but when I made the appointment at the Hardin Clinic, I couldn't get in until yesterday. Since I wasn't treated here, the doc wanted to make sure I was healing, especially since I'm "older". I told the receptionist that all it takes is a snip snip and tug tug. If I had tweezers and small scissors here at home, I would have done it myself.

Our doctor friend even offered to take them out for me, but since I already had the appointment I appreciated his help, but it was ok for me to go into the clinic. Looking back I should have taken up his offer. I didn't want to have my stitches taken out in the martial arts school.

I got to the clinic early because I knew I would have to fill out a ton of paperwork. The paperwork wasn't that bad, all I had to do was update my insurance information. I only had to wait in the waiting room for about 10 minutes before being called. The nurse called my name and then asked me what I was in for. Don't these people read.

She took my vitals and all of that good stuff. At least I didn't have to step on the scale. Then it was about a 30 minute wait. I had taken a book with me and got a couple chapters read. The doc finally came in and I had to retell my story to him.

This doc said that normally I should have come in 5 days after my accident. He said that he likes to take out stitches in 5 days to help avoid scarring. Scarring is the least of my worries. The doc at the ER in Columbus said to keep them in until Thursday. Give me a break.

He did say that I healed quite nicely for being "older", just treat it like a scratch. I still have to keep putting neosporin on it. I don't have to go back unless it gets infected or any problems.

I went back to the dentist on Wednesday. When I first went right after my accident he couldn't take any x-rays, I was too sore and swollen. At first he thought I would be ok, but now that has changed. I did more damage to my teeth than what was originally thought. I have to go back in two weeks and will let time tell. The dentist thinks that I will lose both my front teeth. He did say that one of the options available is to have a root canal, but he did say in honesty that a root canal probably won't work. One tooth did tighten back up, but not the other one. The lose one he sort of welded it to the next tooth and it does feel so much better now that it is stabilized.

Now that I got the stitches out I have to make an appointment to have my eyes checked. I do need new glasses anyway but the accident just moved it up a bit. I can't wait and see what the eye doctor says when he hears about my head trauma. When I fell, my glasses just fell off my face and I do have a deep scratch on the lens. I was very fortunate that they didn't break.

The scar above my eye doesn't look that bad and it will be hard to see. It is just above my eyebrow and if a person doesn't know that it is there won't notice it. I'm sure over the years it will fade.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm glad you are healing well. I bet by the time you are here next month we won't even be able to tell that you took a spill on the rocks.