Sunday, October 26, 2008

Awesome Driver

While I was in sunny Southern California, I found out what an awesome driver my sister is. This was on Thursday when we were to go to San Diego to meet cousins for lunch. We were sitting around the house, waiting for my younger niece to get home from school. My oldest niece was deciding if she wanted to go with us or not. We soon got the lecture from her on how she was the best person to drive us down to San Diego. San Diego is about 60 miles south of Murrieta. We weren't sure who was going to drive, but we were going to have to go in Mary's van. That was the only vehicle large enough to take all of us without taking two cars. Mary said that if she didn't feel like driving I could. That sure perked up Katie's ears.

Katie then decided, no offense to us, that she is the best choice to drive to San Diego. She was the only one out of all of us that was taught how to drive in traffic and in California. Mary and I learned up here in Montana and Gramma learned so long ago in Wyoming. Katie has only been driving for 2-3 years. Between the rest of us, is many many many years.

Mary reminded Katie that I had lived out in California for 3 years and did drive in traffic. I also drove out to visit them twice and had to drive in traffic. You should have heard the bantering back and forth on who would be the better driver for the trip down to San Diego.

By the time Lexie got home from school, she was pretty tired and didn't want to go. The two girls decided that they were going to relax at the beach. They really would have been bored visiting with the "oldies" in San Diego. No other people their age was around anyway.

Mary decided that she wanted to drive. This was her first outing since Libby was born and she wanted some freedom and she knew where to go. If Mom or I drove, Mary would have had to direct us. We all managed to get in the van, the two little ones in their car seat and us older ones buckled in our seat belts, and away we went.

Backing out of the driveway, Mary asked us if we would be ok with her driving, since she wasn't an awesome driver.

I'm here to announce that Mary is an awesome driver. We got down to San Diego and back all in one piece and no scratches on the van.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks!

This awesome driver just hit a parked vehicle right in front of the high school! Doh! So much for my awesome driving skills. Bet its all because I learned to drive out in the boonies where there are no other cars on the streets. I'll have to ask Katie for advice next time.

I scratched my van pretty good and yanked the back bumper off. See what happens when you think you are a better driver than your teenage-know-it-all daughter?

Living With Cavemen said...

Glad you all made it in one piece that day.