Monday, March 14, 2011

Wrestling

I'm already behind. Two weeks ago Hardin hosted an AAU wrestling meet. Tristan, Donnie's son, is a wrestler. We went to go watch his meets. There were a ton of kids running around, there were 8 mats going on at the same time.

Donnie found us and gave us all the information that we needed for Tristan. All of his matches were on mat #4 and Donnie had already camped out an area where we could get good viewing. He told us what the match numbers were for Tristan and then we just had to wait.

There were other kids that we know who wrestle too and some friends' kids wrestling so we were able to watch alot of matches. I was very surprised at the number of girls wrestling and they weren't afraid to mix it up with the boys. In fact Tristan had to wrestle two girls.

He lost his first match but won his second. He placed second in the tournament for his bracket. The first girl pinned him, she was from Hardin and a friend of his so he wrestles her all the time. Donnie told us that he usually wins against her. The other girl he has wrestled in tournaments before, no sure where she is from. He is not able to pin her, she can move out of that but he usually beats her by points.

I took my new camera with me and was able to play with the sports mode and the video on the camera. My camera has a flip down live view finder which came in handy. It was announced that all photography and video taping has to be done from the stands. Only wrestlers, coaches and officials were allowed on the floor. Well most people ignored that. Not me, I stayed in the stands. Flipped the view finder down and started taking video. A man sitting behind me sure liked that feature on my camera.

I wasn't too sure how the video would turn out, but I was sure surprised at the quality and the sound that my camera picked up.

Tristan and Donnie went to Great Falls this past weekend for the state tournament. Donnie kept us informed by text. Tristan didn't win. He was in a bracket of 32, he lost his first match, won the second and lost the third. He didn't get pinned, he lost by points. Donnie said that he got injured in the first match. He didn't quit and stayed with it. Now he wants his dad to teach him speed and strength for next year.

No comments: