Monday, January 9, 2012

Photography Course

I've been taking a photography course through the New York Institute of Photography. The course I'm taking is the Fundamentals of Digital Photography. I am learning how to use my Nikon D5000 camera as a SLR instead of a point and shoot. I am half way through the course. I started in October and should be done in a couple of months.

My first photography assignment was sending in five photos with certain aspects. The first one a photograph using the rule of thirds. The second was a stop action photo. The third was creating a motion blur. The fourth was difficult lighting and the fifth was photographers choice.

I submitted my first assignment in December and received my evaluation by a professional photographer. I got good marks, said I had a good start and I'm understanding apperture and shutter speeds without any difficulty.

Here are the photos and what he said.

He liked this photo of Jennifer. Suggested that I should have went to the other side to capture this, this way I could use the wall in line with Jen. This is my rule of thirds photo.



This is my stop action photo. It was taken at Gma's house in October. He liked this one said I should have cropped out the shadows on the bottom and maybe cropped enough to make the deer off center.


This is my motion blur photo. I had a hard time with this one but managed. I should have cropped the helmets on the bottom.



This is the tricky lighting photo. It was taken on the Oregon coast at sundown. He liked this one.

This was my choice photo. He really liked it and said that I do have an eye of a photographer. He suggested that I wade into the water to get some good shots of the cabing and windows.

2 comments:

Mmom said...

Shades of your Father!! He took a course from there too. I gave all the old books to Lexie. However that was before digital. But they did have some interesting info about lighting and shadows and framing. Maybe she will send them back when Mary comes in Apr is she doesn't want them anymore.

Mary~Momathon said...

Wow, those are great photos! I'm afraid I will not get beyond the world of point and shoot. I am comfortable with my pocket camera and since I destroy a camera every year, I am afraid to move up to an expensive unit. I'll just come visit you and you can take pics of my kids with your awesome new skills. :)