Tuesday, March 19, 2013

4th Degree Black Belt Test

Last Friday I tested for the 4th degree black belt.  About a month ago I was told that I could test.  Grand Master Park told me that all I would have to do is my new forms and weapons.  I worked on my new forms and brushed up on my weapons.  I wasn't sure which weapon I would be doing so practiced with both.

I had to update my black belt book as it has been 4 years since my last test.  That wasn't hard to do.

The week of my test I caught a cold that has been going around.  First Gary caught it then shared with me.  I was hoping that I could nip it but that didn't happen.  Friday my test came and I was feeling better, just no energy and I was stuffy.  It was hard for me to breath but I was up for the challenge.

We always spend the night in Billings because the tournament is the next day.  No sense in getting home late then get up early just to make it to the tournament.  So much easier spending the night. 

I took the afternoon off, Jennifer took the time off from McDonald's as she was going to be my photographer.  Jennifer caught my cold and wasn't feeling well.  By the time we got to Billings she was pretty sick, she had a fever and just didn't feel good. 

We ate lunch then checked in to the rooms.  Jennifer ended up staying and went to bed.  There went my photographer.

I did find a photographer but she was so scared to take pictures with my big camera.  I had all the setting so all she had to do was just push the button and I had my zoom lens on so if she wanted she could zoom in and out. She did a good job.

There was 15 of us in total testing.  There were two testing for their 3rd degrees and in the past the people testing for 1st & 2nd went in a group, testing for 3rd & 4th in a group.  Those testing higher were in a group.  The way Grand Master Park had us do it, I ended up testing by myself.  All the ones testing for 1st, 2nd & 3rd were in a group.  The two instructors from Cody tested for their 6th degree and they were together.

Gary had to give a personal introduction of me and he did well.  My halo was shined up for the night.  Grand Master Park let him call my test.  All I had to do was my punches, self defense forms and five forms.  Only one weapon form with the bo staff.  Thought I was done but then Grand Master Park threw in a curve ball.  He wanted to see some hapkido (joint manipulations).  Gary was surprised and I was shocked.

I didn't know which ones to do, just had to pick out about 6.  I didn't have a partner as we didn't practice any of this.  Thankfully one of the Billings students stepped in to help.  Her name is Ashley Rylander and she is 16 years old. 

I got through that and now I'm ready for questions from the testing board.  Another curve ball, I was told to turn to the audience and tell them why I do martial arts and what it has done for me.

I played up on the age thing and how martial arts keeps me young.  I also played up on the generation thing, that I consider myself the middle generation as I had learned from the generation before me and hope to pass on that knowledge to the generation coming up.  It worked, I passed.

Gary and I are the same rank now but he still outranks me only by the age thing.  He still tells people that he hasn't taught me everything.

I will get putting up the photos on picasa soon.

1 comment:

Mmom said...

Congratulations! Sounds like you aced them. You're good! Was that Larry Englehardt judging?? Haven't heard about him for ages. Didn't know he was still around.