Monday, May 13, 2013

Montana Women's Run

Saturday I walked the two miles in the Montana Women's Run. I have done this before, but it was years ago.  One year Jennifer walked with me. The courthouse got a team together which we were called Hardin Hotties.  The team leader was Dulcie Bear Don't Walk who is the elections administrator.  She wanted to do this as a challenge to herself.  She is a very large woman and wants to get into better shape.

She thought it would be a good idea to have a team together, there were 9 of us all together, one didn't make it on Saturday.  With a team you pay your individual entry fee, however the team leader pays $45 total.  Dulcie had us pay an extra $5 each to help defray the team entry fee for her and she had hair clips made for us.  If you registered online the fee was $20, but if you mailed it in it was $25.  With this fee you got a t-shirt. This way we could spot our team members.

Dulcie didn't get much support from her husband, he kept telling her that she couldn't do it, 2 miles was too far for her and if I walked with her she would be slowing me down.  I told her not to worry about me.  I'm not going to win a medal or anything.  For that I would have to run.  I did tell her to get out and walk so that when the time came she would be ready.

Dulcie picked me up at the house, Gary met me later in Billings.  Dulcie picked me up early and we ate breakfast in Billings, her two younger brothers came as well.  We were lucky and found a parking space a block from the starting line.  The 2 mile race started at 9:00 am.  It didn't take long for the rest of the team to arrive.

I walked with Dulcie, the rest took off on their pace.  Dulcie thanked me to staying with her and she apologized for slowing me down.  I told her not to worry about it.  She made it.  She kept asking me how much further we had but she was a trooper.  Once we made our last turn you can see the finish line.  After we crossed I told her to look behind her and see all the women still coming in.  Her greatest fear was that she would be the very last one.  Every woman received a pink carnation as she crossed the finish line.

We didn't stay for the finish line festivities, she was tired her ankles and feet were sore.  We had to walk 7 blocks back to her truck.  Again she thanked me to staying with her.  She had all of us give her our cell numbers and who to call in case one of us "biffed" it.  I was worried about her.

After I dropped Dulcie off I met Gary at Tiny's Tavern, which was just a few blocks from the starting line.  He kept sending me text messages asking where I was.  I told him that I was on my way and to just look for me, I'm wearing a pink shirt.  He just laughed, said that there were alot of women inside wearing pink shirts.

There were 8500 women registered this year, we looked like someone had spilled a giant bottle of peptol bismal.  Here is the photo of our team.


Left to Right:  Veronica, Georgette, Tammy, Gayle, Anne, Sandy, me and Dulcie.  Emi in the stroller.

No comments: