Sunday, September 22, 2013

Kitchen Remodel Part II

I finally got my counter tops installed last Monday, had to wait 9 weeks for them.  I started this project on Memorial Day, that was when I ordered everything.  It took 5 weeks for my cabinets to arrive, which I knew that.

We did our own demo of the kitchen, figured that would save time for the contractor.  I had hired a contractor in May to install the cabinets.  I kept him informed on when the cabinets would be at the house and everything, just had to wait for him to call me back.  Every time I called him he would put me off, so I found another one.  I'm still waiting for the phone call from the first contractor. 

I hired Clayton Fortune to install the cabinets and he got them done in two days.  He had help his son was his helper.  Once I got the cabinets installed, then the counter top people came down to measure.  That was on July 16th when he measured.  Clayton was over to finish up some work by putting up the molding on the cabinets.  I asked the counter top guy how long it would take and he told me about 6 weeks, could be sooner.

They don't keep the material there, don't know why, they have at least the ball park figure when I ordered the cabinets.  Well, my 6 weeks turned into 9 weeks which I wasn't happy with at all.  Got irritated with the counter top people but they finally got them installed.  The material didn't arrive in Billings until Sept. 5 and then it took them the 10 days to cut it.  I had to pay for everything up front even the mileage for two trips from Billings to Hardin.

I got tired real quick of washing dishes in the bathroom, silverware and glasses in the bathroom sink, pots and pans in the bathtub.  I never take a kitchen sink for granted anymore.  Also got tired real quick eating off of paper plates and bowls.

The counter tops got installed last Monday the 16th, the guys were only here for an hour, didn't take them long at all.  Jennifer and I installed the faucet and sink baskets. Had to buy the water hose and we got those installed too.  We had to wait for Gary to get home to get all the plumbing done.  Jennifer and I weren't much help in this department, our neighbor came over to help. 

Had a few leaks at first until things got tightened up, but it all works.  We just have to install the fill spacers around the dishwasher and get it anchored.  I did run it one day to check for leaks and it ran smooth, no leaks.

All that is left to do is paint and put up the backsplash, I just haven't figured out what color I want.  I love my new kitchen and it is all thanks to Spuddie & Roy, so everyone needs to plan a trip to Hardin to have a cup of coffee in my new kitchen.

I will never do another kitchen remodel in my life time, this will stay forever.

Here are some before & after photos:
Old Along the window wall

New, hickory cabinets with quarts counter tops, we extended the length along this wall.


Old by the stove



I didn't put new above the fridge, wasted space, got a built in micro wave to give me more counter space.


 

No comments: