Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Surprise In Law Visit

This past weekend we had a surprise visit with the in laws.  About a month ago Jason sent me an e-mail asking about Mom's house and if she is interested in selling it as they were interested in buying it.  At the time I haven't told my children that their grandmother bought a house in Meeteetse.

He said that things are pretty tough out in California and that they are looking to move to Hardin.  I tried to talk some sense into them, that moving to Montana is fine but not Hardin, there is nothing here.  Billings would be a better fit for them.  Anyway, I told Jason that I would relay the message to his grandmother and she could contact Jeni's aunt Susan, this way I am not the middle man.

Jeni called me on the 14th and asked if I would look at a house in Hardin that they are interested in buying.  I talked to Susan and got the particulars on the house.  The address is 420 W 5th St.  The listing said 4 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, a two story house but there was no information about the bedrooms with size and location.  Susan said that her dad would be moving with them and he needs a bedroom on the main floor. Grandpa would be buying the house anyway.  No problem I could call the realtor for them and make an arrangement it would have to be on Saturday.  My counter tops were getting installed on Monday and I have to work the rest of the week.  That would be no problem.

On Monday the 16th Jeni called and said that she and Susan are coming out to Hardin to look at the house, would I have room for them in my house.  My spare bedroom is in shambles, still have quite a bit of my kitchen in there.  I asked Mom if they could stay at her house, but that wouldn't work as Mom's house is organized chaos. She doesn't have any dishes or bedding in her house.

It was decided to make a motel reservation for them and Mom and I would pay for it.  I called Jeni back and told her, now her grandfather is coming too.  Jeni said that they would arrive in Hardin on Thursday and be leaving on Monday.  I made the motel reservation for them, got two rooms for four nights.  I put them in the Rodeway Inn (American Inn).  Since it is under new ownership, prices have gone up a bit.  The guy gave me a 5% discount on the rooms, which just paid for the taxes.  I had to fill out a credit card authorization to pay for the rooms.  Yikes when I tallied up how much it would be I about died, $728 for the motel. 

Jason didn't come with them, someone had to stay and take care of their animals.  It was just Jeni, Susan and Grandpa.  They arrived on Thursday and had no problems checking in.  It turned out that they stayed three nights as Grandpa had to be back in Oxnard by Tuesday. 

It was a bad weekend to spring this on me, we had class on Thursday and on Friday we had the HOG Chapter appreciation at the dealership.  Wouldn't be spending too much time with them.  I did take Friday afternoon off to spend some time.

Their appointment with the realtor was for Friday at 2:00 pm.  Gary and I were invited to look at the house with them, they ended up looking at two houses.  Gary and I met them for lunch at McDonald's on Friday (Susan treated).  Grandpa had already made up his mind that he was going to buy this house.

It is a nice house and very well kept for an older home.  I didn't like the kitchen, it is very tiny and no dishwasher.  The house had two bedrooms on the main floor and two upstairs.  There is a full basement with two rooms that can be made into bedrooms.  Has a fenced back yard and a two car detached garage. The asking price on this house is $159,900.  The address is 420 W. 5th St.

The other house they looked at was on the other side of the block, a large brick house on the corner of 4th & Crawford.  I didn't like this house, rooms were long and narrow and I did not like the basement at all.  Grandpa didn't like the house, too hard for him going up the stairs with his walker.

It was decided on the blue house, they went with the realtor to wheel & deal, Gary and I got ready for our thing in Billings.

Saturday Jeni and her family went to the Battlefield.  I didn't go as my allergies kicked in and I wasn't feeling well anyway.  I had a throbbing headache and I don't think the brats I ate at the appreciation were agreeing with me.  I told Jeni for Grandpa to check into getting a park pass.  Since he is a senior it would cost him $10 and I think because he is handicapped it would be free.  He qualified for the free pass.

Their offer was accepted, the current owners will pay for the closing costs and will install handrails in the stairway heading to the basement.  Grandpa has to get the inspection done by Oct. 1, the realtor gave him a name and then they need to get approved for financing.  Jeni is excited.

Jennifer and I met them for supper on Saturday and we ate at Pizza Hut (Susan treated).  It was nice visiting with them and I apologized for not being able to be a good hostess.  Grandpa said I helped out quite a bit, especially with the motel rooms.  Susan said that she is going to send me money to help pay for the rooms. We said our goodbyes here as they were leaving bright and early in the morning.  Susan wanted to be on the road by 5:00 am, Grandpa wanted to make it as far as Mesquite NV.

I have my reservations about this move.  1). They have always lived in the city and moving to small town Hardin they are going to be quite bored.  I think Grandpa & Susan will adjust fine, but Jason & Jeni are going to be bored.  2).  They have never experienced winter and will be in for a treat when winter does come and have to heat that house.  It is a large house.   3)  Jobs are hard to find here and there are not that many.  4) Grandpa qualities for VA Health Care and the closest ones are either 50 miles away in Billings or 85 miles away in Sheridan.  Think about driving the roads in winter.  5) I think they are paying way too much for the house in Hardin.

I am happy for them and it would be nice to have the kids closer.

No comments: