Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Tournament

This year we didn't have many students participate in the tournament.  We had one student.  Seemed like the others had school things going on or something else.  That is life.


Tournament was held at Billings West and it was a pretty good sized one this year again, about 300 competitors.  Gary and I were the highest ranking black belts to run rings, the masters were there but they don't have to run a ring it they don't want to.  We had enough black belts to run 9 rings, made getting through forms quick.


The tournament was over by 4:30.  Our lone student had a hard time making it, but he was able to make his sparring competition.  He missed his forms competition.  His grandmother had vehicle problems.


He placed 2nd in sparring, he was in my ring so I was able to watch it.  He was winning the match but towards the end he was getting tired and dropped his arms.  The two boys were tied and I thought we would go into a sudden death round.  This is a round where the first one who scores wins.  No, the other boy managed to score one on my student at the very end.


It was a good bout and both boys did well.  My student has a bad habit of dropping his arms so hoping that this will teach him to keep those arms up.


I have photos to put in the paper about our black belts and tournament competitor.  He didn't want his picture taken, he is a shy boy.


Our next big tournament is in October in Sheridan and we are hoping that we can have our whole school compete.


I have a bunch of students, but most are too new for this tournament.  I could have had them compete but they would have been so overwhelmed and wouldn't fare well with the seasoned competitors.


I didn't want them to get demoralized and not compete again.  I think we will do well in October.  The kids can compete in the Big Sky State Games, but they are on their own for that.  The State Games are not associated with Park.

No comments: