Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Surgery Day

On July 13 I had a hysterectomy. I had been battling fibroids for four years and now I finally can have a pain free life. Tuesday I had to do all of my pre-op admission stuff. They gave me some soap to prep my skin for surgery. I had to take a shower before bed and again in the morning before surgery with this special soap. Also I had to drink magnesium citrate the day before. Jennifer went with me for all of this. Afterwards we ate lunch at Applebees, as that would be my last good meal until I get out of the hospital. Then we did a bit of shopping.

Got home and drank the magnesium citrate and then I could only have fluids for the rest of the day. Nothing to eat or drink after midnight. Wednesday morning arrived and I had to be at the hospital at 7:50 am and then schedulded for surgery at 9:50 am. Gary and I got to the hospital in plenty of time and got checked in. I had to leave all of my jewelry at home even wedding bands, so I didn't have much to pack for my overnight stay. My name was up so off I went for all the pre-op stuff. Gary could have stayed with me during this portion but he left to get something to eat. All he had to do was check in and they would tell him where I would be.

Three different nurses got his phone number so I'm not sure if all of them called him or just one. While I'm in pre-op they made me take a pregnancy test. I asked them if they were kidding and they weren't. I assured them that I wasn't pregnant, well apparently I wasn't as I still had the surgery. At this point I had to leave my glasses and partials behind.

I was wheeled upstairs and then I talked to the anesthesiologist and my doctor, then into the OR. I just remember them putting the mask on my face and the next thing I knew I woke up in recovery. It didn't take long before I was moved into my room. I was the only patient on that floor. While I was in recovery, the doctor talked to Gary and told him that everything went fine, no problems and that I will feel so much better.

I slept most of the time and I was not allowed to throw up. I did have to get up and walk around with some help. I had a bracelet on my wrist stating that I was a fall risk. We had a few good laughs over that one. Being the only patient on the floor does have its drawbacks, the nurses seemed like they were always taking my vitals every half hour.

I was able to come home on Thursday morning.

No comments: