Thursday, July 28, 2011

Surgery Week One

I was released from the hospital Thursday morning and ready to go home. Walking is a bit slow. I am not allowed to lift anything over 7 pounds, nothing that requires pushing and pulling (vacuuming). The only exercise that I'm allowed to do is walking and just taking it easy. No swimming until at least three weeks, allow time for the stitches to heal. Was not allowed to drive until all the pain medication was used up.

Gary filled my pain medicine prescription when we got home. I was taking the pills 4 times a day, but by Friday I was taking them 3 times a day and by Sunday only 2 times a day until they were gone. No refills on those happy pills. While on the pain pills I had no appetite. Gary kept insisting that I eat to get better, but there was no way I could eat anything like I did before the surgery. Once I was done taking the pain pills, my appetite came back and I felt ever so much better.

My walking was done indoors around the house. I had my walking track and I walked quite a bit working my way up to 10 laps. I did walk outside a few time, just in front of the house. Walking was very slow, in fact I think Grandma could have beat me in a race.

Mom came to Hardin on Monday to help take care of me. She did some housework, the dishes and vacuuming. She did run some errands for me and most importantly she took me out for coffee. We went out for lunch and in the afternoon she did bring some smoothies for a snack.

The biggest feat for me was sitting in the movie theater watching the last Harry Potter movie. It did get a little rough towards the end, those chairs are not the most comfortable but I was able to move around a bit. My movie snack was a large glass of ice water. The nice little young man behind the counter didn't charge me for the water. Felt good to get out, but it was a bit tiring.

Gary, Jennifer and Mom took great care of me during the first week. Fixing the meals and making sure that I am doing ok.

I am experience menopause. I was told that I would immediately since my ovaries were removed. I would have went through menopause no matter what, but with the removal of my ovaries I lessened my risk of ovarian cancer. I get the hot flashes throughout the day. It's not that bad, I just get overly warm without any notice. When this happens I drink alot of ice water and that helps a bit.

These hot summer days don't help much either. Thank goodness for central air and fans. At night I sleep with the fan on in the bedroom. I think I am freezing Gary but he says I'm not. Wait until winter.

No comments: