Monday, March 26, 2012

Spring Cleaning

The weather is starting to get nice and it's a perfect time to get the spring cleaning done. I want to get this done before my sister, brother and nieces are here for their Easter visit.

This weekend I got started a little bit on the inside of the house. My next major cleaning project is to get the carpet shampooed. I bought some carpet cleaner for the heavy traffic area to help get that part of the carpet cleaned up. I have been using my new steamer mop that I bought a few weeks ago and I love it. I tried in on my carpet and think it will work ok for spot cleaning.

Our next project is the outdoor stuff, I wanted to start working on the yard, but we got our porch cleaned up.

It took us 4 hours to get everything done, but we got it done. Several years ago we had the bright idea to put the old tae kwon do mats down so that we could work on our forms and such. Then when Gary worked at the school, the school got rid of some old carpet and we laid that down all over the porch.

Through the years the carpet started getting rotten with the weather. When we had the flooding last spring alot of water seeped in the carpet. Also snow would blow inside. It was time to get rid of it.

We took two loads of junk to the the dump. Mostly old carpet, mats and tarp. We thought that there would be mold underneath all of that, but the cement is actually in good shape. A good power wash will take care of that. We also cleaned out stuff that was stashed in there. About 15 years ago I inherited some ugly brown dining chairs that were in the old tae kwon do school when we first took over. We never used them, all we did was bring them out, clean them up and stack them back in the porch. We kept two chairs and threw the rest out. It was afterwards that we thought to use our little utility trailer. Would have made things easier.

I have an old tv and dvd player that we don't use and I will be taking those up to Good Will along with some clothes. Most of the stuff that we had got ruined with the weather.

We had to buy a new push broom to sweep up the porch and my allergies flared up. My neighbor's cat Oscar is mad at us because we ruined his sleeping spots, but he will just have to find new one, hopefully at his own home.

Porch looks real nice, our goal is to seal the cement out there and that should do it for the porch. Next weekend I want to tackle the yard. We need to trim a bunch of limbs and need to cut down the bush that is in front of the house where the pine tree used to be. Half of the bush got knocked over during a wind storm and I want to plant grass in the empty spot where the tree used to be.

Want to get all this work done before riding season really kicks off.

No comments: