Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Kitchen Remodel

We have started on our kitchen remodel, we spent months looking at kitchen ideas and now it's coming to fruition.


Last night we took down the east wall cabinets, which wasn't hard at all.  They were only held on by a couple screws.  While Jennifer and I were at class, Gary started to take down the homemade cabinet that the previous house owners put up above my cabinets.  He said that those were so easy he was on a roll.  Jennifer and I got home, had to box up all my dishes that Gary took out of the cabinets, then we held on while he used the drill to remove the screws.  Down they came, very easy.  Gary and I then loaded up the old ones and took them off to the dump, I also threw out some old stuff that was falling apart.

I have ceramic tile on the walls which I hate, after all these years the grout is yellowing and I hate the tiles.  They are very hard to clean.  I took the flathead screwdriver and a hammer and started to chisel the tiles off.  Since they are so old they are coming right off.  I have to finish up that project tonight.

We are leaving the base cabinets up on this side, will let the contractor take those down.  That is my sink and since it deals with plumbing we are going to leave that alone.  Friday we will start taking down the cabinets on the west wall by the stove and refrigerator.

Tonight Gary and I are running up to Billings to buy the dishwasher, microwave and kitchen faucet.  When I bought the cabinets I got a 10% gift card which we are going to use towards the purchase of the appliances.  Saturday we will pick up my cabinets.  Lowes would have charged me $250 to deliver to the house.  We have our utility trailer so will use it.

I took my before pictures last night which was a good thing.  Started taking some of the during and will definately get the afters.

My new cabinets are hickory and I went with a quartz countertop.  The microwave is an over the range.  I am so excited and can't wait to see the transformation on my new kitchen.  I got the cabinets & countertops for $5600.  My appliances will be around $600 and then I will just have to pay the contractor for his labor which he charges $35 per hour.  With Independence Day coming up next week I may get some sales on the appliances.

I bought everything at Lowes.  They were having a sale on Memorial Day so I got the sink base and another base cabinet for free, the stainless steel sink free which is an undermount and all the hardware for the cabinets free.  This was such a frustrating process that we just decided to get everything at Lowes.  Our friend Marty who does this kind of work said we are getting a very good deal.

1 comment: