Monday, July 1, 2013

Kitchen Demo

I do not have a kitchen.  We got it demoed which wasn't hard at all.  The only things we left for the contractor to do is the cabinets with the sink and the cabinet with the range hood.  Those two deal with plumbing and electricity which Gary didn't want to touch and he doesn't have the right tools for those anyway.  All the others just took a hammer, screwdrive and drill.

Last Friday I got a call from Lowes informing me that my special order cabinets have arrived, I was not ready for them last week.  We did talk to our salesperson and got things in order of what I needed to do, I also paid for my countertops.  The installer for the countertops called and she will call back on July 3rd, that way I can give them a better time frame for them to come down and do a template of my kitchen.  Called the contractor and told him that my cabinets would be here on the 29th of June, he will get in touch with me this afternoon.

Monday we started packing things up, I started in the very top cabinets.  Some of the stuff I wondered why I kept, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.  Then we started packing my dishes from the main cabinets.  Gary brought home a bunch of boxes, so dishes are packed and stored in our back room.  While Jennifer and I were at class on Tuesday, Gary started taking down the cabinets on the east wall.  He got the very top ones done while we were gone, he just needed our help when he unscrewed them from the wall.  They weren't heavy and to me it was amazing that just two screws held those cabinets in place.

Decided not to take out the base cabinets along the east wall, mainly because of the plumbing and Gary doesn't have the right tools to take the sink apart anyway.  We will let him do that.  I then took a flathead screwdriver and hammer and I took off the ceramic tile that was on the wall.  Those came off very easy, the glue holding them on was old.  We have lived in the house for 27 years.

Wednesday we went to Billings and bought our appliances, the dishwasher, microwave and kitchen faucet.  When I bought the cabinets, I qualified for a 10% gift card which we used towards the appliances.  I have all stainless steel appliances now, so my kitchen will match.  I bought a high arc faucet with a pull down sprayer.  The original price was $804 and we paid $471, my gift card was $332.  Everything is stored on the porch.

We finished packing up the rest of the kitchen, moved the table into the livingroom.  The refrigerator is now against the north wall, so is the stove.  My dishes and stuff is stored in boxes throughout the house. My house is in chaos right now. Saturday morning we hooked up the trailer and headed to Billings to pick up my cabinets.  Lowes would have delivered to the house but would have charged me $250.  Friday night our salesperson called and said the cabinets are ready to be picked up.  Told her that we would be there around 7:00 am.  Gary wanted to get there before traffic was busy.

We had to wait about a half hour for the cabinets, apparently the right hand was not talking to the left hand.  My cabinets were up in a loft and a worker had to get them all down.  They were on two pallets, fortunately three Lowes workers help us load the trailer.  We have everything stored on the porch, all the cabinets are in boxes right now.

We then finished with the demo in the kitchen.  The cabinets on the west wall were not as easy on the east wall.  Not only did the former owners screw the cabinets in the wall, but nailed them to the wall and then screwed the cabinet together.  Gary said a few choice words.  We got the cabinets down and a hammer works well.

Now I'm waiting for the contractor to call so that he can get started.  I'm waiting anxiously to see my new kitchen.

No comments: