Monday, April 4, 2011

Garage Party

Wednesday I attended the Beartooth Harley Davidson Garage Party. This is a women only event to get women interested in getting out of the back seat of a bike and into the front seat. It was alot of fun.

The party started at 6:30 at the dealership, they had some snack sandwiches for us to eat since it was dinner time. There were about 30 women at the party. I only knew one other woman that was there. The only men in attendance were a couple workers who were demonstrating. The local news crew was also there to report on it. Fortunately I missed getting on tv.

We were divided up into three groups. My group went to the clothes department first. We were told the important items needed for riding were leather chaps, leather coats, ankle boots and a helmet. A few women confessed that they don't always ride in safe clothes, some ride in shorts and flip flops. I don't because Gary won't allow that. I stressed the importance of a helmet. Not necessarily for when you go down, but mainly to protect your head from rocks, bugs and debris on the road. My helmet is knicked up from rocks and debris. We then had time to shop, found a couple things I would like but didn't buy anything this time.

Next we went to the station where we learned how to pick up a bike after going down to the ground. This demonstration was a first for the Billings garage party, mainly because they didn't have a female employee who could pick up her bike. It wasn't that hard at all. You just squat down, get your butt on the seat one hand on the handle bar the other on the fender and just start walking backwards. Soon you will have the bike up. I had a hard time and was spinning because I was using one leg more than the other. Once I got equal pressure on my legs, I got the bike up. Sure felt like it was going to tip over the other way, but the kickstand was there to prevent that. It really wasn't that hard at all. Then we learned how to change a seat on the bike. That was very easy.

My last station was the demo drive. The last time I went to a garage party I chickened out on this, was too scared to try it. This time I promised Gary that I would do it. It was very intimidating at first, especially when other people are watching you. The guy was very nice in explaining things. He asked if I knew how to drive a stick shift and that since I do it's the came concept. He had us go through a dry run on all the gears. One down five up. We all had a hard time finding neutral. That is between first and second gears. I got the bike started and on I went. I got it up to 60 miles per hour and in 5th gear. Then he had me shift down. Piece of cake and I didn't stall it. It turned out not to be so intimidating after all. I'm sure it would have been a different story if I was actually moving.

After it was over and we all got through the stations, we had a door prize drawing. This was for the two day safety course that is taught by the Riders Edge. You go through this course, then all you have to do is take the written portion to get the motorcycle endorsement. The dealership bought class time for June 11-12 and if you won this that is the only time that you can go. You would not be able to exchange it for a different class. We are going to be in Deadwood South Dakota that weekend, so I didn't get a ticket for the drawing.

Everyone did get a grab bag. They were all different. I got a shot glass, a keychain, a pen and a necklace charm. Now I just need to buy a chain for it. We all got reading material and a coupon for $350 off a windshield or seat if you bought a new bike before May 24, 2011. Gary already said that I can't buy a new bike.

It was a fun night and very enjoyable. Two hours sure went by fast and I got some more goodies.

1 comment:

Mary~Momathon said...

They taught you how to drive a motorcycle and then gave you a shotglass? Hahaha! That's kind of funny!