Friday, October 14, 2011

Going Wireless

Getting wireless internet is a chore and a nightmare. It is not an easy thing to do.

Called two wireless internet providers for the Hardin area. The first one I called is Big Horn Wireless at TCT. This is the same company that Mom has for her wireless.

TCT would have to do a site survey to see if I could get their signal. They do not have any wiring here in Hardin. If I can get service, then it would be a $40 deposit, $199 installation fee of the dish on the roof of my house. My monthly bill would be $46.45 per month and I would be required to buy my own router. Yikes, that is pretty expensive in my book. Told them that I would have to think about it.

Then I called Qwest which is now CenturyLink. I would only have to pay $20 activation fee, I would be activated by 5:00 pm on the 13th. Qwest would send me a modem and I would pay $99 for that which they will conveniently bill me. My bill will be $34.95 per month. Since I'm a new customer I would only pay $19.99 for the first six months to see if I like the service. Then I would go to the regular monthly fee. They will even throw in a $50 gift card that I can use for the modem. Wonderful, sign me up.

We did get the modem yesterday at 4:00 pm. When I got home from work, called the tech support number and they will walk me through everything, no problems. There is a problem. I am not getting any internet signal. Called tech support again and the problem is that my activation is pending. I was supposed to be activated by 5:00 pm. The little tech said that technically the day hasn't ended and they do have until midnight to get me activated. Looking back he didn't say in what time zone for the 5:00pm activation.

Got up this morning, went swimming still no internet connection. Called tech support again and did all the troubleshooting still nothing. They are going to have to send a tech out to the house. I asked them what time that would be as I would have to take time off from work.

The soonest a tech will be at the house is on Wednesday the 19th between 9:30am-1:30 pm. They do require that a person over the age of 18 be present with the tech. I asked if they could pinpoint the time better but no deal. All right I will just take time off from work and will be home then. The tech had better arrive. I better not see a Qwest or CenturyLink truck around town in the mean time.

Called the billing department this morning because I don't want to be charged for a service that I'm not getting. The gal advised me that she did make a note of it because they certainly don't want me to pay for a service that I'm not getting.

Will have to watch my bill very closely when I get it. Didn't realize that it was going to be a chore getting wireless internet.

No comments: