Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Winter Storm

Mother Nature is striking us with a vengeance.  I like her hot flashes better than her cold freezes.  We are not going to warm up until next week some time.

It had been a long time since we have had a storm this early in the winter season, usually our big snow will arrive in January and stay until February.  This year we have had a couple small storms where the snow only stayed a day or two, this one is going to last quite a while.

It rained all morning and afternoon on Monday, which turned to snow that night.  The temperatures dropped quick which made for icy roads with all the rain.  The wind came and caused blowing and drifted snow on Monday night.

Yesterday it snowed all day and windy, our temperatures were in the low teens and fell to single digits above zero during the night. I was supposed to go to Billings for our HOG Officer meeting last night, but stayed home.  Was not going to drive on the icy roads with poor visibility due to blowing snow.   We got a good two feet of snow since Monday night.  We got home from work yesterday and Gary got our snow blower out to clear the driveway and sidewalks.  Jennifer and I went to class to teach, I didn't think I would get many kids as most schools in the county except Hardin were closed.  I ended up with a full house.

As I was getting ready to go, I got stuck in the alleyway to get onto the street.  It doesn't help that the snow plows come along during the day and plow the snow into huge heaps.  I would have been fine if I didn't have to stop, but a car was coming.  As soon as I stopped, the car slid into the deep snow and I was stuck, couldn't get out.  Gary and to come and shovel a bit then managed to push me out.  He got me onto the main street, but had to wait for some traffic.  I was late getting to class.  I was glad to see that the landlord has hired someone to clear the snow at my school.  I had to get out my rock salt for the sidewalk in front of the door with some ice.

I got home ok, Gary had blown the snow away from the entrance to the driveway.  I sure do miss my Subaru with all wheel drive during this kind of weather.  My new car just doesn't do well in this deep snow.  I have been driving our pickup, at least I can get around.  The side streets are horrible and main streets are too keen either.  Doesn't help that people will shovel or blow their snow back into the streets.  I really hate winter.

Today still snowing but it is very light.  I have been driving the pickup today, at least I can get around but we have more snow to get rid of on our sidewalk tonight.  The plows came through and plowed that snow right back.  We can never win.

It is not going to get better soon, the temperature is going to drop, it is 2 above today and we are to get down to -12, tomorrow our high is going to be -2 with a low of -20.  We won't see warm temperatures until next week.  Good thing both our vehicles have head bolt heaters, at least one will run.