Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Yesterday Was The Day

Yesterday I had my teeth pulled. It really wasn't that bad at all.

The night before I took one of my happy pills, boy did I sleep good Sunday night. I was pretty nervous about the whole thing, after all getting 10 teeth pulled would make anyone shudder.

Woke up as usual in the morning and it was cold -20, but I got ready. Mom drove up from Wyoming to take me to my appointment. She got here on Thursday before the frigid cold and storm hit. We left town around 8:45 am. I had to go to the post office to get some stamps and then before we hit the road, we got one of our fru-fru coffees. I don't know when I will get another one any time soon. Besides I had to take the last happy pill an hour before my appointment.

I ate pretty good over the weekend. On Friday I went to Taco John's and had a nacho's navidad, then on Saturday was our Christmas party for tae kwon do and I ate a pretty good dinner, even had red velvet cake for dessert. On Sunday when we went out for coffee I had a McDonald's cinnamelt. It was all very yummy. I must had gained 5 pounds over the weekend.

Got to my dentist's office and checked in. We got there about 10 minutes early. I told Mom that if she had anything to do it would be ok for her to leave because it would take a couple hours for me to get done. She had everything done, so she stayed. Good thing she brought a good book to read. We were there for three hours.

The dentist asked me if I was ready for all this. Not really but lets get it done. The shots in my mouth hurt worse than the extraction itself. Nothing like getting shots in the roof of your mouth, not to mention that my top gums are still sore from my fall in August. Before I knew it, he had all my front teeth out. Didn't feel a thing at all, very easy extraction. He pulled my wisdom tooth last, he was pretty sorry that even though my mouth was numb, he can't numb the sound. That is the worst.

My face was numb from my nose to my chin. The dental staff kept talking to me and I would answer, but it was very difficult. There was one point when I told the dentist that I could feel a flap of skin on my lower gums. That was my lip. My mouth feels pretty weird now.

It took about an hour for him to get my temporary teeth in. It is just a plastic tray with teeth in the spaces I need. I have to wear these for six weeks until my partials come in. I can't eat with them in. They just fit over the top and snap into place over my teeth. The dentist wants to make sure that my gums are healed very good before they come in. Said that it would be easier to have them fit right the first time instead of coming in to get them fitted. This way gives the swelling time to go away.

I had to wear the temporary's for an hour yesterday, which was pretty easy on the way home. They had to come out right away, it was pretty bothersome. Going to take time to get used to that. Mom dropped me off at the house and I gave her my prescriptions for Gary to fill. I have to take amoxicillin and hydrocodone. The antibiotics I take until they are gone. He gave me those because of so much dental work done to fend off infection and the pain pills I only have to take as needed.

Mom even came back to the house to stay until Gary got off work. I told her that it wasn't necessary as I would be taking a nap and by then Gary would be home with the pain pills. But she came and did her mother duty.

I took a pain pill when I woke up after my nap, was able to eat a bowl of soup and drink some water, then I took another pain pill before I went to bed.

So far this morning I am feeling fine. However, I'm not looking forward to putting in the temporaries today. I have to wear them for 2 hours today and increase the time each day. I don't think I can get them in, but will. May have to take a pain pill for that.

I really do look different. It is strange looking in the mirror, I have straight teeth. This will all take some time to adjust, but at least the hard part is done.

I go back to the dentist in 3 weeks for a check up and also I need to have some more fillings. Great, more shots in my mouth and drilling.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Hope you are feeling better today. I've been thinking about you!

Living With Cavemen said...

I'd be all for having the straight teeth, but shots, sitting in the dentist chair for 3 hours, sounds of drilling, and mouth full of tools and hands while still conscience...NO WAY!!!