Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Dress Shopping

Yesterday afternoon Jennifer and I went dress shopping for the wedding. Do you know how hard it is to find a dress for a slightly overweight 40 something. Seems like the fashions this year are very bright and bold colors and they are trying to make us 40 somethings dress like the 20 somethings.

We tried on several dresses and wrinkled our noses at many more. We finally found some at JC Penney. The store was having a pretty good sale and we got some good deals. Jennifer bought a nice little black dress. I told Jennifer that you can never go wrong with a little black dress and every woman needs one for her closet. In fact I need one too.

The dress I found is actually a sun dress, but Jennifer assured me that it will be fine for the wedding. After all it will be in hot, sunny California. My dress is blue and white but the colors and pattern are not over powering. I can also buy a little sweater to wear over the top of it and would be appropriate for work and such.

We still have a couple more months to find some more dresses and I will be keeping my eye out. Jennifer was showing me all kinds of dresses and I had to remind her that I'm a slightly overweight 40 something. Those dresses are fine for slim 20 somethings.

We had fun shopping and we didn't get home until 9:30 last night. I also bought me a new belt and a book. No shoes this time. I spent some of my winnings on the dress. I still have some left for more shopping.

I didn't think shopping for a dress would be so hard. I know I could find decent ones on the internet, but I want to try them on first and make sure they fit before buying.

4 comments:

Mary~Momathon said...

I found three dresses at Ross and they were all great bargains. But, I can't feed the baby in any of them, so it's back to shopping for me.

I will check JC Penny. I'm looking forward to the wedding, it's going to be lots of fun! Glad you are coming!

Glam Gal said...

As image consultants specializing in women over 40, we hear this kind of story all the time! It is very difficult to find well-made, age-appropriate formal dresses for women of a certain age and size. (In fact, we just wrote an eBook about it! http://tiny.cc/0XPuD) The department stores are a great place to start, for their size selections and their prices!

Good luck in your search!

Wolfpak5 said...

Mother's Day is next month so should find some good sales and bargains around that time time.

Living With Cavemen said...

JC Penney always has good dresses. And yes, you can never go wrong with black. I have a little black dress in my closet. Although, it hasn't fit me for YEARS!!! I don't know why I still have it. I guess thinking someday I'll be able to wear it. Who am I kidding? I wore it in my 20s!!