Friday, April 30, 2010

I Walked 395,215 Steps

The contest is officially over. I walked a total of 395,215 steps in the six week period. That averages to 65,869 steps per week, 9,880 steps per day. In total I walked 197.6 miles which averages to 4.94 miles per day. Take in account that 2000 steps equals one mile.

When you have your steps counted like this it is rather amazing how much a person does walk in a day. Naturally I made a concentrated effort to walk more, knowing that I had to count each step.

I also lost 5 pounds in the six weeks. Not too happy about that, my goal was to lose 10 pounds. The 5 pound loss is 3.3% of my body weight. We would have scored higher if we lost 5% of our body weight. Most of the people in the court house group didn't make this target. On the plus side though, my clothes are fitting looser.

According to the nurse who took my blood pressure, she said that I did a fantastic job in getting my blood pressure down to normal levels. I don't think the nurse who took it at the beginning did it right. I was wearing a long sleeved shirt and she took my blood pressure right over the sleeve, also she had a hard time hearing because other people in the room were talking. However, the nurse today was concerned because my pulse rate was low and she said I have an irregular heart beat. I have an appointment for a check up with my doctor in a couple weeks, so will have to mention this to her.

The man who is running this study came to me and told me not to feel offended or anything, but I have good muscle tone. He works out at the pool the same time I do and he can tell a difference in my body shape. Poor guy was so embarrased telling me this. He wanted to let me know that he wasn't checking me out or anything.

1 comment:

Mary~Momathon said...

Wow! You are amazing! What kind of pedometer do you use? I am curious.I might have to see what my daily average is just to see how far behind you I am!