Wednesday, November 24, 2010

White Elephant Auction

Last Sunday was our HOG Chapter white elephant auction and officer election meeting. I was nominated last month to be the chapter secretary which I accepted. Gary will have to teach my class on the one Tuesday a month that I have to go to a meeting. Nobody ran against me so by default I am the Beartooth HOG Chapter secretary for the next two years. I officially take over my duties in January.

The winter storm hit us on Thursday night and continued on through the weekend. There was a small break in the weather, so we took advantage and went to the meeting. This is always a fun meeting. We get great food and can bid on some nice items for the auction.

We left earlier than usual to Billings. Our meeting didn't start until 1:00 pm, but we had to shop for the Thanksgiving meal. Our original plan was to shop after the meeting, but with the storm we decided to get the shopping done first then after the meeting just come home.

The driving lane was pretty good going up, the passing lane was snowpacked and icy. As long as you stayed in the driving lane, you were good. Until we reached the Billings hill, that is where we ran into ice all the way into Billings. We did pass a very slow vehicle and then just had to laugh when we saw where they were from. This young girl (20ish) from Georgia was driving white knuckles and this is on the dry part of the road. Apparently she thought is was cold out as she was bundled up real good. Guess the heater on the car doesn't work. She was going around 40 mph and was probably scared to death when a semi and two pickups passed her. We were the second pickup. I wondered what happened to her when she got to the Billings hill when it was very icy. On our way home the roads were in better condition. The driving lane was clear but the passing lane was snow packed. We got home before it started snowing again.

We made it to Billings in one piece, ate breakfast got our shopping done and headed to the meeting. We were there an hour early, so watched some of the football games in the sports bar. Made our way to the meeting with our goodies. I made a macaroni salad for the meal and we brought a football shaped grill for the auction.

I came home with a new pair of riding boots and two holiday coffee mugs. I got the boots for $24 and the coffee mugs for $2. The boots were only worn a couple times and the lady who brought them told me that she couldn't wear them as they were a bit small for her. I had tried them on before I bid on them and they fit me. There was a nice coat that fit Gary but he wouldn't bid on it. He said what does he need another coat for. Our friends were getting after him for not bidding on it. The coat is a $300 coat and it went for $35.

The box the boots came in said they were a size 7 1/2, but the tags inside the boots say size 7. I normally wear a 7 1/2, but these fit great. A tad big for me in the heels, but just have to wear thicker socks. I figured that when I got them home and decided that they really didn't fit me, I can give them to Jennifer, she wears a size 7. The original price on the boots was $130. Gary rolled his eyes, said just what I need another pair of shoes.We had a good time and enjoyed ourselves. Now I'm gearing up for Thanksgiving. Jennifer invited her friend Arthur over and Gary invited one of our biker friends to eat. Hope I have a big enough turkey. We may not have any left overs.

1 comment:

Mary~Momathon said...

Love how you always get great stuff at these biker events! Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.