Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Church Breakfast

Every second Sunday during the months of September through May, the church has breakfast. There are enough groups that each one only has to cook once. November was my groups turn. We always fix french toast, scrambled eggs, ham, regular toast, coffee and juice. It takes at least 3 women to cook. I was asked to help and I told them that I would, but that I would be out of town Friday and Saturday, but would be back to help cook. That means someone would have to get the groceries. I was told that would be no problem.

Sunday morning I got up bright and early to get to the church to start fixing breakfast. We serve at 8:30 and 10:30. Setting the tables takes the longest. I get there and was the first person. I checked the refrigerator and it was empty. I tried calling the woman who was supposed to get the groceries with no answer. Great, no one else is coming so far. By now it is about 7:15, so I go to Father Fabians house. I ring the doorbell and no answer. I figured maybe he was in the church. The doors were unlocked. No sign of Father in the church, but there was a man practicing the organ, getting ready for mass. I asked him if he has seen Father and he hadn't.

I go back to the house to try again. I rang the back doorbell, the front doorbell still no answer. By this time I'm in a panic to figure out what to do. No cooking helpers have arrived, it is 7:30, no sign of Father Fabian. People are starting to arrive for mass and as far as anyone knows Father is supposed to be there. I just can't run to the store and get the groceries right away and fix breakfast by myself. The store doesn't open until 8 on Sundays.

Finally Father answered his door. He said that breakfast was canceled because they couldn't get any workers. He knew I was out of town, but I didn't get any messages. I have given them my number, but no one can remember it or hasn't written it down. Father left a message on Mom's answering machine for me. I never check her machine. That was such a relief.

I decided then to go to early mass since I was already at church anyway. This way I was able to go with Gary to Billings for a Patriot Guard Rider mission.

Afterwards I thought how horrible for my group. I'm in the group of working women. I was so disappointed that at least 2 other women wouldn't or couldn't give up their time to cook breakfast for church.

No comments: