Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day

I don't know about you, but I am so glad that the election is over and we can move on. I got so tired of all those political ads and they seemed to get more ridiculous as the election moved on. Not only did we get national and state, but we also got Wyoming political ads. No matter which one was airing, they were all the same, just the names were different. At least we get a break for a while from all those ads.

I had election day off as a holiday. I get general election day off every two years. This year we voted absentee. Montana has no excuse and it was so much easier. I really didn't have a good excuse not going to the polls. The biggest reason for voting absentee was that I was able to have my ballot at home and really go over it. At the polls, there are times when I feel that I have to hurry, especially when there is a line. For the state initiatives, I was able to read my voter information pamphlet and that made it so much easier.

It wasn't hard at all getting our ballots. Since I work in the court house, the election office is only a floor below me. Gary and Jennifer had to write a letter requesting their ballots and giving me authorization to pick it up for them. I just have to fill out an affidavit at the office. I brought them home and all we had to do was make sure the ballots were delivered to the election office by election day. I personally handed our ballots in, saving money on postage.

Living in a small town, we didn't have long lines like the bigger cities did. We did have a large voter turn out this year. Alot of state offices were up this year and because of term limits, they were all new people for the state senate and state house.

For my day off, I went out to coffee with Mom. We went to MoJoes and had one of our fru-fru coffees. It was very tasty and we visited with alot of people that we knew. Mom was able to show off her new photos of her newest granddaughter. I then came home and watched mindless tv with Jennifer. She had the day off too. We then picked up Gary during lunch and met Mom at Subway.

After lunch, Mom headed back to Wyoming and Jennifer and I still watched mindless tv. It was nice to just relax. I did manage to get a loaf of banana bread made. We then had our classes last night and the kids were pretty excited to have Obama win.

Now that Obama is the president elect, I can really kick myself for not going down to Crow when he was there in May. At the time I didn't want to deal with the large crowds, but now looking back I should have. When will I get another chance to see a presidental candidate in person.

2 comments:

Mary said...

A relaxing day full of mindless tv and going out for coffee.... sounds great!

I think I will start absentee voting too. Sounds a lot easier. I took Gracie with me to vote and she was disappointed that it wasn't more fun.

Living With Cavemen said...

That does sound like a great day.

Our political ads out here were ridiculous as well. They were pretty much saying "I'm a big jerk, but vote for me, cuz my opponent is a bigger jerk".