Sunday, November 23, 2008

White Elephants

Last week we went to the HOG chapter meeting in Billings. It was a pot luck dinner and a white elephant auction. I had made my layer jello salad to take. We didn't have anything for the auction and I wanted to see what else the others were bringing. Besides that I couldn't find any white elephants.

We had our meeting first and we had to vote for the assistant director of the chapter. Got that done, then they awarded prizes for the mileage contest and also gave out patches for members who have been in for 5 or more years.

They were selling raffle tickets and I had Gary buy some. We didn't know what they were for so I figured that maybe the tickets were to raffle off the white elephant items, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of the auction. Anyway he bought $10 worth of tickets.

One of the most popular rides the group takes is the Gambler's Run to Deadwood. Gary really wants to do this ride so we listened intently to the information and took down the phone numbers that are needed. The ride is in June and we will spend four wonderfully fun days gambling and riding.

After we ate, they drew numbers for the raffle. I won $70, it was actually a 50-50 raffle and my winning ticket was the very end one. I was shocked because we usually don't win anything like this. We are going to use the money to buy some Harley Davidson jeans. When we bought the bike, Gary got a card with some discount stuff on it and one of the items is to buy a pair of jeans and get the other one free.

The auction was alot of fun, some very good items and some gag items. One of the gag items is the Harley Davidson phone. I guess this was the 3rd year that it has been up for auction, will see if it makes it for next year. We didn't bid on anything, didn't feel right because we didn't bring anything.

I did get alot of ideas for next year. We are still learning all the tricks of the group and next year we will be seasoned.

I did make our reservations at the hotel for the Gambler's Run. I was the 4th person to do so. My friend who works in the office next to mine recommended that I make my reservations now. Her son is getting married in June at Deadwood and they are staying at the same hotel we will be staying and she said that when she made her reservations, they were full. The chapter did block off a group of 35 rooms. So for sure we are taking at least 2 days vacation in June.

This is a short week of work for me. I only have to work for 2 days. Tuesday is my dental appointment. This is when I get a check up and they will schedule the date for me to get my teeth pulled. Thursday is of course turkey day. We are just staying home watching football and eating. Gary has Friday off so I took it off too. We plan on going to Billings for some shopping, but we aren't getting up bright and early. We plan on leaving Hardin probably around 9:00 am.

I will run down to the office to pick up my paycheck information. I have direct deposit, but will have to get the other paperwork for the office and then I'm out of there.

2 comments:

Mary said...

That's great that you won $70! Good luck at the dentist today!

Living With Cavemen said...

Yay on winning money!