Sunday, November 16, 2008

Flu Season

Flu season is officially here. I got my flu shot on Friday at work. The county works with the public health nurse and they schedule a day for employees and their families to get the flu shot.

I get one every year, mainly because if I don't then the VA gets after me, so it is easy to just get the shot at work. This way I don't have to take any time off and my health insurance pays 100 percent.

I got my shot right away, but not after filling out paperwork. This year we had a choice on flu shots. We could either get the shot or the nasal spray.

After reading the information on the two, I decided to go with the shot. The nasal spray is a live virus. Now who in their right mind would want the live virus sprayed up their nose. Well, people who are afraid of needles. I told the nurse to give me the dead stuff.

I had a choice in that too. I could get the kind with the preservative or without. It didn't matter to me, I just go the shot.

I sat down at the table and visited with the health nurse. We got caught up on what our kids were doing and where they are. Her kids swam on the swim team as Jennifer both with the Otters and the Bulldogs.

I got the shot in my left arm as I need my right arm. My arm doesn't hurt at all, it was all pretty painless. However, I just had to laugh to myself on how the nurse was giving me the shot. She was aiming like I was a dart board. I wanted to ask her if I should draw a bulls eye on my arm. I kid you not, she was really aiming. Most of the time when I get a shot, I just get it.

So, I'm protected for this year and I shouldn't get sick.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Hope you stay healthy all winter! I didn't know they had a nasal spray - what a great way to get the flu, get it sprayed up your nose!

I'm not getting the flu shot. I hate needles. Especially if the nurse thinks she is playing darts!

Living With Cavemen said...

Glad you didn't get the nasal spray. Yeah, who wants a live virus of the flu?

Hope you don't get the flu.

I don't get the flu shot. Not for reasons of hating needles, but for many others. I'll spare you all from going there and getting on my soap box.

Always take the kind with out the preservatives please.